History of Contamination
In 1984 Lincoln Avenue detected volatile organic chemicals (VOC’s) trichloroethylene (TCE), carbon tetrachloride (CTC) and tetrachloroethylene (PCE) in the well water. The origin of the contamination was determined to be Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL).
During the 1940’s and 1950’s the current JPL site was used for missile testing. Seepage pits were used to dispose of chemical wastes. This was a common waste management practice at that time. Starting in the late 1950’s the seepage pits were shutdown and a sewer system was installed. However, the damage was already done.
During the period of 1986-1992 Lincoln’s two active wells were taken out of service due to VOC contamination. In 1992 Lincoln Avenue installed a liquid phase Granular Activated Carbon (GAC) adsorption system to treat the contaminated groundwater.
In the spring of 2004, just prior to the start-up of groundwater production, a high concentration of perchlorate, another contaminate originating from the JPL site, was detected in the well water. However, working with a variety of State and Federal agencies in conjunction with remediation experts from JPL and NASA, in July 2004 the company constructed an Ion Exchange Perchlorate Removal System. This system was the first perchlorate treatment system permitted in Los Angeles County.